MAGNUM™ ABS Resins are proven to enhance productivity and efficiency
MAGNUM™ ABS resins by Trinseo are globally used in a vast selection of products in automotive applications, appliances, medical devices, furniture, and sanitary products. The article offers practical data and technical insights first-hand on how you can benefit from the advanced properties of MAGNUM™ ABS Resins meeting your products' requirements such as high purity, low VOC, thermal stability, effective colorability, UV absorbers, and optical brighteners.
As you may know, we are relying on our proprietary continuous mass polymerization process technology to yield ABS of a superior quality to competitive emulsion ABS (eABS). We produce mABS at our production locations in Europe (Terneuzen, The Netherlands), the US (Midland, Michigan), and Asia (Zhangjiagang, China) and would like to share our knowledge and expertise to support our customers.
Technical Service Leader Mark Vreys from Trinseo, The Netherlands, as well as our Senior Development Specialists Kenneth Lam and Kurt Wong from Trinseo, China, recently published detailed and focused white papers on the benefits of our MAGNUM™ ABS Resins for effective coloring, as well as for tackling historical issues in extrusion.
In addition, ABS expert Mark Vreys presented a UL Prospector webinar to support manufacturers of extrusion and injection molding applications to select the most suitable ABS materials to best meet their specific needs.
Explore our research information and learn more about the advantages and benefits of MAGNUM™ ABS Resins:
"MAGNUM™ ABS: Superior coloring for ABS resins" – Trinseo White Paper
Manufacturers of end products as well as processors such as injection molding workshops using eABS have experienced several coloring issues like an inconsistent base color of the natural resins with potentially significant lot-to-lot variation in the base color of the same natural resin grade, or different natural ABS resins showing varying shades of yellow.
Kenneth Lam and Kurt Wong offer the results of their study clearly showing that Trinseo's mABS MAGNUM™ - compared to eABS - can deliver consistent color and superior aesthetics to customers with outstanding product efficiency and cost saving opportunities:
- MAGNUM™ ABS offers significant benefits over emulsion ABS, especially when seeking optimum color performance and stability.
- The whiter base color of MAGNUM™ ABS makes it substantially more cost-effective for producing whiter, brighter shades, with markedly less yellowing.
- " This color stability continues after UV exposure, reducing costs for UV stabilizers while preserving gloss.
- MAGNUM™ ABS can also withstand elevated temperature environments for extended time periods, increasing efficacy during storage and transportation.
Click the link below to download our White Paper on MAGNUM™ ABS: Superior coloring for ABS resins
"Optimizing performance and achieving customer satisfaction from your ABS Resin" – Trinseo Webinar
Our resident-expert on ABS materials, Mark Vreys discussed the two methods of ABS production - the traditional emulsion method and the alternative mass polymerization process including Trinseo's proprietary mass polymerization process for the production of high-quality MAGNUM™ ABS appropriate for certain applications in the automotive and many other industries.
Following his detailed discussion, he presents the relevant attributes of the mass polymerization process offering many benefits for injection as well as extrusion molding:
- Better lot-to-lot consistency for less scrap
- Lower base color & more efficient coloring for less pigment cost
- Better UV stability for less cost for UV absorber
- Better thermal stability for less scrap (regrind)
- Lower in gels for a better surface quality
- Lower VOC's for less odor in vehicle's interiors
- Higher Melt Strength for improved thermoforming
Click the link below and download the presentation from our webinar on "Optimizing performance and achieving customer satisfaction from your ABS Resin":
"MAGNUM™ ABS - The benchmark ABS for extrusion" – Trinseo White Paper
Historically, the emulsion ABS used for extrusion applications has experienced issues with color quality, low lot-to-lot consistency, poor UV stability, unmelts causing surface defects, and impurities. This study discusses the attributes of ABS specifically for extrusion and thermoforming.
Mark Vreys compares the benefits of high-impact MAGNUM™ ABS Resins versus a high-impact eABS and several other eABS grades. The white paper provides information to manufacturers of extrusion applications to select the most suitable ABS materials for optimum production performance and cost efficiency:
- The whiter base color of MAGNUM™ ABS substantially reduces pigment cost - especially when seeking lighter, brighter shades.
- Due to better thermal stability, MAGNUM™ ABS reduces color corrections when reprocessing as regrind.
- When exposed to UV radiation, white-colored MAGNUM™ ABS reveals a slower rate of discoloration, which may reduce the cost of UV absorbers.
- The considerably lower amount of medium and large gels in MAGNUM™ ABS reduces the risk for aesthetic surface defects of high-gloss thermoformed parts.
- MAGNUM™ ABS is also a purer product, with significantly less VOCs.
Click the link below to download our White Paper on MAGNUM™ ABS for extrusion molding
You want to learn more?
Login or apply for login now!
If you forgot your password click here to request a new one.